Experience: Please check details below.
Education: Please check details below.
Job Description / Requirements
Enhancing preparedness for emergency response through stronger national systems in Nepal with particular focus on Far-western and Mid-Western Regions.
DP-DRR RED CROSS CONSORTIUM
Term of Reference (ToR) for consultant for the establishment of platform for national private sectors and civil societies and link to Shelter Cluster mechanism
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Private sector Consultant
Purpose of Project and Background
The following are the Terms of Reference for the Private Sector Consultant.
As a continuation of the 8th DIPECHO Red Cross Consortium program, Nepal Red Cross Society in partnership with Danish Red Cross, British Red Cross, Finnish Red Cross and IFRC is implementing the project Enhancing preparedness for emergency response through stronger national systems in Nepal with particular focus on Far-western and Mid- Western Regions.
One of the components of this project aims to enhance the capacity of shelter partners (including private sector and civil society) in coordination, information sharing and working in partnership for an effective and appropriate response
During Mega Earthquake in 2015, the response done by the private sectors in Nepal has been recognised where it has been proved that the private sectors in country are the first responders for any type of disaster. The pilot study of the response of private sector and civil societies was done by Shelter Cluster Nepal in 2015 during Nepal EQ as per which, more than 189,000 household were reached with some type of assistance in Temporary Shelter, more than 218,000 household were reached with some type of assistance in Non-Food items (NFIs), 15,000 household were reached with CGIs, 18,000 household were reached with T-shelters, around 157,000 households were reached with food and almost 552 schools and health posts were somehow supported by the private sector and civil societies which is significant support done internally. The response would have been more fruitful if it was coordinated with the distribution done by INGOs/NGOs and government creating less gaps and duplication. Therefore, following the Nepal government’s one door policy, it is highly necessary to bring all the responding agencies in the same platform during the peace time for better preparedness and response during emergency.
The Private Sector Consultant will be exclusively dedicated to the task of establishing Private sector platform working closely with Shelter cluster Nepal.
The purpose of the action to enhance the preparedness and response capacities of Nepal Government towards a timely, effectively and targeted emergency response. EU Humanitarian Aid’s Disaster Preparedness Programme is based on 5 mid-western and far western districts, Dang, Banke, Bardiya and Kailali and Darchula. The project consists of 3 results where the 3rd result is purposed to enhance the shelter cluster coordination mechanism and refers as “Cluster mechanism upgrades its shelter partners’ capacities (including private sector and civil society) in coordination, information sharing and working in partnership for an effective and appropriate response”. The establishment of private sector and civil societies platform comes under the activity of result 3.
Private Sector Consultant is to fulfill his/her coordination mission to establish a platform for private sectors in national level and district level in 2 districts (Kailali & Banke) of the EU Humanitarian Aid’s Disaster Preparedness Programme and link them with the shelter cluster coordination mechanism in National level and with DEOC/DCC/DDRC/local bodies in district level. Private sector consultant is to increase and promote the engagement of private sector in shelter cluster coordination mechanism.
180 working days based in Kathmandu with regular visit to districts: Banke & Kailali
Reports to: Head of National Society Development Unit (IFRC)
Work in coordination with: Shelter Cluster Officer (IFRC)
Main products/ deliverables expected by the consultancy
- Establish a common platform for national private sectors and civil societies and link to government body and cluster coordination mechanism includes 5 lifesaving clusters (shelter , WASH, Health, Food security & Nutrition and Protection)
- Establish district level mini-platform for districts’ private sectors and civil societies in Kailali & Banke districts and link to DEOC/DDRC/local government bodies of respective districts.
- Create up-to-date contact list of national and district private sectors and civil societies
- Map the emergency resource (fund) if available in national and district level, produce mapping 3W matrix
- Create opportunities for the private sector and civil societies representation in shelter cluster coordination and establish platform for their voice
- Provide briefings, guidance, trainings or orientations to encourage involvement in national coordination mechanism
- Advocate for inclusion of private sector and civil societies in national preparedness plans.
- Encourage private sectors and civil societies to follow the standard kits during response approved by respective government entities.
- Encourage private sectors and civil societies to involve in the updating process of Shelter Cluster Nepal contingency plan
Main tasks of the consultant/staff:
- Develop an Inception report (a sample format will be provided)
- The inception report should include the detailed scope and plan/timeframe of activities for consultancy agreed with the Programme Manager.
- Implement activities described above.
- Report on monthly basis to feed Project reporting.
- Submission of Final report.
Education: Minimum Master’s degree in social science, humanitarian action, DRM or related fields.
- Excellent relation with private sector and civil societies, understand the working modality
- Solid experience of working for a humanitarian organisation
- Demonstrate experience in facilitating trainings, workshops, orientations, writing reports
- Able to work independently with minimum guidance.
Interested candidates/firms should submit their application material by 16th of January 2018 to the following e-mail: Abhinav.Sharma@ifrc.org
Please put Application for “Private Sector consultancy” in the subject heading. Application materials are non-returnable and only short listed candidates will be contacted for the next step in the application process.
Application materials should include:
Curricula Vitae (CV) including three professional references
Cover Letter clearly summarizing your experience as it pertains to this consultancy/assignment, your monthly rate, and three professional references.